Saturday, April 9, 2011

from Milton - William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the countinance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanice mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have build Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

=============================================
William Blake (1757-1827) did not title this poem. It concludes his book Introduction to Milton I will shy away from analysis but I will note that I cannot read this poem without hearing the extravagant, not to say bombastic musical adaptation by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Not sure what that says about me.

2 comments:

  1. Brain Salad Surgery !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre the one that needs brain salad surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete